Former auction boss faces prosecution

Posted On 28 Jul 2016
By :
Comment: Off

timo_hugesUTRECHT, Netherlands:  Four managers from Nederlandse Spoorwegen (Dutch Railways) and an NS business consultant face prosecution for fraud, bribery and violation of trade secrets, Dutch newspaper Volkskrant said on Thursday, July 20. One of the five main suspects is former auction boss Timo Huges.

The Public Prosecution Service, not mentioning the managers by name, said in a statement that the trial should take place at the earliest opportunity. It is too early to predict the outcome, but it could likely include the prosecution of the five individuals and of the NS company. Bribery and fraud according to Dutch law carry a maximum sentence of six years in prison.

One of the five main suspects is former auction boss Timo Huges. His short, turbulent reign (2013-2015) as the chief executive officer of Nederlandse Spoorwegen was far from successful.

In the summer of 2015, Huges was forced to leave the company after it emerged that he had lied about his involvement in passing on confidential information to an NS subsidiary during the tendering process in the Dutch province of Limburg. At the time, Nederlandse Spoorwegen said Huges, who had served the railway company since October 2013, would not be given a substantial pay-out. The controversy over the failing CEO soon heated up when newspapers reported that Huges walked away with an €86,000 bonus.

Timo Huges previously served as acting CEO of FloraHolland for more than seven years. He was General Director of Bloemenveiling Aalsmeer from 2006 to 2008 and General Director of Royal FloraHolland from 2008 to 2013.

 

About the Author