COLUMBUS, USA: AmericanHort was formally launched on January 1, 2014 through the consolidation of the American Nursery & Landscape Association and OFA-The Association of Horticulture Professionals. It took a few years to make this happen but it is the culmination of the vision the respective members shared: to bring together the two national organizations and replace them with one comprehensive association to serve the horticulture industry in North America.
AmericanHort connects the vast diversity of the industry. We now have a strong and unifying voice to support, promote, and expand horticulture. Together, we have achieved a lot in the first year. Here are some highlights:
- Launched the first-ever comprehensive research project to support the future of garden retailing and related horticulture services.
- Organized the industry’s Bee and Pollinator Stewardship Initiative.
- Influenced efforts to provide a reliable immigrant workforce for our industry.
- Collaborated with the Horticultural Research Institute to leverage more than $10 million in research to support all industry sectors.
- Persuaded the U.S. House of Representatives to retain industry-friendly accounting rules.
- Produced an expanded Cultivate’14, the largest all-industry event in North America.
- Expanded our Interior Plantscape Community through a partnership with Plantscape Institute of America.
- Hosted several business development conferences for all business sectors.
- Supported important consumer-focused organizations, including AmericanHort’s community service affiliate, America in Bloom.
- Updated the ANSI American Standard for Nursery Stock, which is used by retailers, growers, landscapers, and municipalities.
There is more to come in 2015, including online community engagement, further expansion of programs to support the consumer market place, and additional successes with our legislative and regulatory initiatives. AmericanHort would like to thank all industry professionals for their support and underlines that its mission is to unite, promote, and advance our industry through advocacy, collaboration, connectivity, education, market development, and research.
AmericanHort’s vision is to be the leading and unifying organisation for the horticulture industry in order to cultivate successful businesses, and for the industry to enhance lives through the benefits of plants.